Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Top 12-Songs From Their Birth Year

Two hours flew by tonight watching Idol. I haven't experienced that until this season. The talent is diverse, and at a high enough level that it keeps me entertained and impressed. There were some excellent performances tonight and some disappointing moments as well. From a singer and vocal teacher's point of view, I watch these finalists push themselves harder than they ever have and worry about their voices holding out for the season. Paul MacDonald's voice concerns me. It sounds injured and although the judges like his unique sound and style, I think he needs vocal rest for awhile and to relearn how to sing. Haley is another one that should watch out for vocal strain; when she speaks, her voice is raspy. This is a sign of vocal stress and possible damage. Everyone seemed to have pitch problems tonight except Pia, Thia, and Stefano. The monitors that they wear in their ears to help them hear themselves can be confusing until they get used to them. And the acoustics in a big theater like that are very different from anything most of these performers have experienced. And then there are nerves,; so much pressure. It takes so much courage to be doing what they are doing! My hat goes off to all these performers!
My favorite all-around performance of the night was Stefano Langone. The weakest was Paul MacDonald. Here is my take on the show tonight. Who do you think should be voted off?

Naima Adedabo-What's Love Got to Do With It
Disappointing performance, her pitch was really shaky, maybe it has to do with her moving when she's singing. Try standing still next time, Naima, so you can concentrate on pitch. Maybe she can't hear herself, or is it nerves? She was so good at the auditions; what happened?

Paul McDonald-Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
I said it the first week I heard him, his voice is not going to last through this season. They said he has a cold, but I think he has a strained voice. My friend Barbara just said he sounded like Rod Stewart on Helium. I agree.

Thia Megia-The Colors of the Wind
Beautiful singing, lovely tone. She needs to pick some more contemporary songs, that are a little more upbeat. The judges are right about her song choice.

James Durbin-I'll Be There For You
Not a great night for him vocally, but I loved his performance. He has a great stage presence and energy. His pitch was shaky.

Haley Reinhart-I'm Your Baby Tonight
Her voice was strong tonight, she's good at many styles, and the judges are giving her a hard time for it. She's a versatile singer, but in this business, you have to fit into a genre or they can't market and sell you. Poor Haley, she's too talented for the business. How many singers do I know like that? Too many!

Stefano Langone-If You Don't Know Me By Now
What a natural singer, great range, passion, knows how to improvise. My favorite performance of the night.

Pia Toscano-Where Do Broken Hearts Go
Pia is one of the few singers who can take on any diva song and nail it. She is a great singer and could win this competition!

Scotty McCreery-Can I Trust You With My Heart
Country, country, country.....nice traditional country singing as usual. Scotty, don't push your voice like the producer told you, you'll wreck it!

Karen Rodriguez-Love Will Lead You Back
A little shaky, but basically a good performance.

Casey Abrams-Smells Like Teen Spirit
He's a great entertainer, quirky, fun,love him. Great performance, great musician! He takes a risk every time!

Lauren Alaina-I'm the Only One
I like the country twist, she made it her own, even with the flu. Good performance. Solid singing. She's only 16? Impressive!

Jacob Lusk-Alone
As usual, Jacob knocks it out of the park with his top notch vocal and passionate performance. He gives every ounce of himself, inspiring to watch him. A little pitchy, but so entertaining!


Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

cdecotis said...

Hi Vickie,

I agree completely with you: Stefano was the strongest and Paul, to be fair, should be voted off tonight.

I was impressed with Lauren...feeling lousy didn't stop her.

Thought the judges were way to hard on Haley. You know, I didn't think she deserved to be in the top 13 when the decision on that was being made, but I've changed my mind. I love her versatility.

I love Jacob but I didn't like his song choice last night...same goes for James. I wasn't into him doing a BonJovi song. Though, I did look at the top 100 from 1989, and like James said, it was filled with New Kids on the Block and Milli Vanilli songs...blah.

We'll see how it goes tonight.